Does anyone run Control-M 6.3.01 server on Linux or VMWare

Everything about Control-M agents installation or setup.
fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 04 May 2007 7:33

Hi

I tried Control-M 6.2.01, Control-EM 6.3.01, SYBASE 12.5.3 installation under Linux SUSE 10.0 running like a Virtual Machine with VMWare (Vmware Server 1.0.2).

I didn't test with a lot of jobs, but all have been executed correctly.

The only things is to configure SYSTEM parameters correctly if you don't want to have database installation issue.

I didn't already test failover or cluster on it.

tripwire

We run our entire production control-m servers in a vms.

Post by tripwire » 11 Jun 2007 7:03

Our entire 6.3.1 environment is completely on VMs. When migrated from two 6.2.1 physical servers to two 6.3.1 virtual servers. We currently run about 10,000 jobs without any issues.

Our VMware environment consists of ESX 3.0.1 on HP DL585.

fcasas

Post by fcasas » 16 Jul 2007 1:39

fyot wrote:Hi

I tried Control-M 6.2.01, Control-EM 6.3.01, SYBASE 12.5.3 installation under Linux SUSE 10.0 running like a Virtual Machine with VMWare (Vmware Server 1.0.2).

I didn't test with a lot of jobs, but all have been executed correctly.

The only things is to configure SYSTEM parameters correctly if you don't want to have database installation issue.

I didn't already test failover or cluster on it.
Hi Fyot.

You made it work with SUSE 10.0? looking at the compatibility page of BMC, it says that the only compatible linux systems for BOTH control-m/server and EM are: RedHat Enterprise Linux AS 3.0 (32-bit intel) and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8.0 (32 bit Intel).... I haven't tried it yet, but i was investigating which Linux version to get for my test enviroment.

Could i have misreaded or it's just that it it is not officially supported?

I remember installing a complete control-m 6.1.0.3 (em, server, agent) on a windows 2000 professional machine... theoretically unsupported, but it worked fine for testing purposes, so i guess that it could work in other unsupported systems.

Regards.

FC

fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 16 Jul 2007 2:59

Hi fcasas,

Your are totally right about version supported from BMC.
But, as you know "not supported" doesn't want to say "not running"

I confirm to you Control-M and Control-EM v6.2.01 and 6.3.01 work fine with SUSE 10.0.
Just be carefull about system parameter, you need to follow at the minimum prerequisite wrote in BMC documentation.

fcasas

Post by fcasas » 16 Jul 2007 5:53

Thanks, Fyot!

This helps me a lot.

Of course, i'd never tell a customer to use one of these versions, but for testing it's quite convenient.

Best Regards.

FC.

Finno

Post by Finno » 20 Jul 2007 12:53

G'day,

Yes we run controlm on VMWARE as our development region.
I test all upgrades and fix packs using this region.
I have setup 3 virtual windows servers and have agents on all 3 servers.
The servers being controlm server,enterprise manager server and sql server.
We have vmware running on a reasonable server so this solution runs very well.
I am currently successfully running in Dev :
Controlm server - 6.3.1 Fix Pack 2
Enterprise Manager - 6.3.1 Fix Pack 3
Agents - 6.1.3 Fix Pack 4

:D

fcasas

Post by fcasas » 31 Jul 2007 1:35

fyot wrote:Hi fcasas,

Your are totally right about version supported from BMC.
But, as you know "not supported" doesn't want to say "not running"

I confirm to you Control-M and Control-EM v6.2.01 and 6.3.01 work fine with SUSE 10.0.
Just be carefull about system parameter, you need to follow at the minimum prerequisite wrote in BMC documentation.
Hello everyone...

Just following the process on the BMC manual for CONTROL-M/server installation, i have found a problem whenever i try to install the database componentes (ORACLE 10.1.0.3) on a SUSE 10.0 machine.

Of course, the problem happens whe i try to run the orapreinst.sh utility, that wouldn't worry me too much, but it happens that this utility generates two directories (/tmp and /log) and a configuration file (don't remember the name) on the control-m server user home directory... and those are required for the installation to continue.

If anyone has been able to install the ORACLE cds that come with the control-m package on a SUSE 10.0 machine, could you tell me if there's any kind of workaround for this problem? i'm not too familiar with Linux or Unix systems yet.

Best regards.

FC.