what is the application type filter

Everything about Control-M Server installation or setup.
brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

what is the application type filter

Post by brownbag » 25 Mar 2013 4:29

I'm wondering what the "application type filter" field in the node/host group definition does. I've seen it before as a field in the node/host group definition, and BMC say that it is where you should specify the type of job you wish to run.
The version 8.0.00 doco says,
"In the Application Type Filter dropdown list, select the type of jobs that you want to run on the host group. Only the hosts that can run the specific job that you selected appear. For example, if you select a Control-M for SAP job type, then only the hosts that have Control-M for SAP installed appear in the filter. If you are creating a host group for regular script or command jobs, select OS."
This explanation is very confusing and not well written. And I can't see what it actually does.
I would expect that it determines what you get in the drop down list in the node id/group field in the job editing form, but it doesn't seem to affect this at all. All you get there is a list of the recently used nodes/hosts.
Any ideas what it actually does?
Cheers.

wer230518
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by wer230518 » 09 May 2013 10:54

I think if you create a node group and select a specific application type, you can use that group only for those type of jobs.

If you create a node group with application type SAP R3, this node group will use the SAP module and you won't be able to run jobs created for other module types using this SAP R3 node group.

Not sure if this makes it more clear or confuse you more. :?

brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

application type field

Post by brownbag » 16 May 2013 2:08

Thanks for the answer, but I did do some research earlier and got the following answer, for all those who are interested:
What this field does is determine what nodes you can select from when creating a node group. If you select PS8, for instance, you can only add nodes that have the control module for Peoplesoft. If you select OS, you can select any node, as they all have ‘OS’.
So in summary, it just makes it a bit easier to create the node groups - it impacts what jobs you an run, but only via the limitation on what nodes you can add to a group.
Cheers.