SL process crashes

Everything about Control-M Server installation or setup.
gglau
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by gglau » 10 Dec 2009 6:18

This sounds very odd. Is it just one job that causes SL to crash?

Is there anything peculiar with it? What happen if you recreate the job (do it from scratch) and order the copy?

Or is there anything peculiar with its SYSOUT content? What happen if you change the command to do something else or redirect the output of the original command elsewhere?

gglau
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by gglau » 11 Dec 2009 5:48

Good that you found the problem. Bad that solution isn't available now.

I discovered the bug on 6.3 that it could not handle these special characters in DO MAIL (CAR00035363). Everything after such special characters were dropped. BMC fixed the problem in FP4 for server. Prior to FP4, the workaround was to manually escape the special characters in DO MAIL message (e.g. enter &gt instead of entering the char >). I have not heard of having problem with the workaround and with FP4. I am surprised these special characters break Control-M once again and make life even worse this time.

gglau
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by gglau » 11 Dec 2009 7:09

The description for CAR00039663 includes a few things and not specific enough.

Shout message allows max 255 characters. It will crash SL and TR if message shout to e-mail is longer than 99 characters.

DO MAIL subject allows max 99 characters. DO MAIL body allows max 4000 characters. Unless there are AutoEdit variables to expand total beyond each limit, the length for each can but not likely to crash SL/TR.

Your problem is special characters in shout, which is in e-mail subject. So special characters in DO MAIL subject can also crash TR/SL. Have you tried escape the special characters?

Special characters are OK in e-mail body (fixed in FP4).

I wonder what is the fixed in 6.4 FP1 and upcoming 6.3 FP6: expand the limit or flag the limit exceeded without crash?

gglau
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by gglau » 11 Dec 2009 8:28

Here is what I found in 6.4 FP2. This is probably the same for 6.3 FP6 later.

Shout message to e-mail longer than 99 char will be delivered but truncated to 99. If prefix is turned on (default), message is truncated so that subject line has 114 char including prefix. There is no trace in any log files that truncation has happened (guess only during debug).

DO MAIL subject does not accept variable so its length will not be exceeded at input.

DO MAIL will not happen if body is expanded longer than 6000 characters. Job log and TR log file will have an entry informing such error.

Special characters entered as-is into shout message and DO MAIL subject are delivered without problem.

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 14 Dec 2009 2:49

very surprise, try the 6.3.01.604 taking care of special caracters

regards
philmalmaison