Using FTP in TWS Vs Control-M

th_alejandro
Nouveau
Nouveau

Using FTP in TWS Vs Control-M

Post by th_alejandro » 11 Mar 2010 9:14

Hi people, in this days, we have trying to understand TWS. I know that Control-M have an AFT modulo where you can define ftp services (like jobs). I don't understand how function this service in TWS. TWS have a front end to define jobs like ftp in Control-M ?

It easy to create aft job in TWS ? or back to the past and need to create a shell using ftp commands ?

hipikll

Post by hipikll » 12 Mar 2010 12:02

Hi,
i started with scheduling by TWS (i'm certified from it :-D ).
So I will write about 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 version of TWS.
To compare CTM and TWS is like compare Toyota car with bike :).
(sorry for my opinion).
1 - user rights ... no comments
2 - creating jobs and dependences ....
3 - problem solving ... ooooo, no, i was teaching this product on one workshop and it was a worst week in my 'lector' life - this product
4 - handling new day ...

I can not say, that It does not work, but I can say, that the same things you can in CTM create in shorter time, with less problems, with more 'readable' format for other users. And for end user the CTM is more understendable.
And also, if you saw CTM GUI and TWS gui - it is like Adriana Sklenarikova and George Bush :-D.

I havent been using TWS for 4 years, but that time, i havent any knowledge about FTP transfer in TWS.

th_alejandro
Nouveau
Nouveau

Thanks for your reply

Post by th_alejandro » 12 Mar 2010 12:24

Thank hipikll for your replies.

In conclusion:

- The front end of Control-M is more beatiful and ease to manage than tws. :D

- The main core of the Control-M for job definition is more ease and comprensive to arquitects than tws. :roll:

- The ftp utility from Control-M exist, and in TWS is a mistery. 8O

- Control-M have a tiny problems compared with the big problems from TWS. :o

and, if you manage licensing values ?, who is more 'cost friendly' vs productivity.

hipikll

Post by hipikll » 12 Mar 2010 1:06

About problems - in general ...
In each application there are a problems. In CTM it is more easy to solve it.
And ... I do not know, if you have any experiences with IBM support :)). The BMC support is ... uncomparable (?? can not compare).

FTP - you need to find, if there is no such module for TWS. But I havent seen any in the time I was interested in TWS.

Security:
You need to edit security file, then compike them and restart something. Each time you define/edit new user. Nice, ye?

BUT:
The TWS has some logic, which would be nice to have in CTM. It is about Standard Agent and Fault Tolerant Agent. FTA can handle and manage the jobs without TWS server, and can also manage Standard Agents.
For example, if the network connection with server is down, the host running FTA can run jobs. It has o local copy of Symphonia (Mozart - i do not remember) file with jobs definitions and dependencies.
So your production streams can run even if central server goes down. :)

If some customer ask me, what scheduler to implement, I would go for CTM.

But about licencing - I was never interested in it. So I can not tell you :(. I'm just technical consultant, have no idea about prices. (and i don't want to :) )

mauriziog
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by mauriziog » 05 Aug 2010 5:10

There isnt in tivoli a Module for FTP, you shoud do the FTP transfer with a script, and schedule it with TWS.

The CM for AFT of controlM is a like a Ferrari, a script is like a bike.
;-)