MaxWait - Simple Question.

All questions about Control-M jobs definitions
BreakFix
Nouveau
Nouveau

MaxWait - Simple Question.

Post by BreakFix » 15 Sep 2010 11:20

Hi Folks.

Will the MaxWait variable keep a job in the AJF if the job is End-OK?

For example:
A Job has a MaxWait = 10.
On Day3 the job executes and End-OK.
After the New Day process on Day4 will the job be retained?

I couldn't see anything specific in the manual, it suggested the MaxWait would only retain a jobs if it is in waiting for execution, but not for completed jobs. Maybe that is just my reading of it.

Thanks.
/BreakFix

nicolas_mulot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by nicolas_mulot » 15 Sep 2010 12:25

BreakFix,

MAXWAIT conditions the retention of jobs on the AJF in case the job has not executed yet during its normal production day, or in case the job has failed.
If your jobs has MAXWAIT 10 and finishes OK during the 3rd production day after it has been ordered, it is normal that it is deleted from AJF during the newday procedure of the 4th day.

If you intend to keep all the jobs of a set of jobs – let’s say an application – until all jobs in the set have completed, it’s a different story. In that case, you should specify MAXWAIT=99, then “manually” manage your jobs, i.e. find a trick to reset the maxwait only when all the jobs in the set have completed. Don’t specify maxwait 99 on any job before you have well understood the issue.

In addition, if your job is defined within a Scheduling Group, actual MAXWAIT on AJF might not be what you think it is.

Cheers

BreakFix
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by BreakFix » 15 Sep 2010 1:25

Very interesting. Thanks a lot.

I didn't realise that MaxWait = 99 invoked this manual management. This was previously added to the design but on review it wasn't clear why so it was reduced and hey-presto we have out problem.

Thanks so much for a speedy response.
/BreakFix