dependency jobs

All questions about Control-M jobs definitions
ppraveen
Nouveau
Nouveau

dependency jobs

Post by ppraveen » 19 Jul 2010 12:53

Hi,
I am still ambigious with dependancy jobs please help out in the below scenerio.
Suppose there are two jobs A and B, which runs on sunday and daily respectively and having dependences between them.Now after completion of job A on sunday that should trigger to daily excuting job B
Now my question is how the job B takes the condion of job A on remaining days
If i place the **** in condition panel it will excute the job B even the job A fail but that should not happen.
I heard about MAYBE condition explain how it going to works here
can u kindly suggest which is the best solution for my requiremnt

Thanks
ppraveen

Eight
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Eight » 19 Jul 2010 5:26

There is more than one way to do this... I would say make your Daily job B order in every day except on Sunday. Make a copy of job B that will only order in with job A on Sunday. Then create the dependency you need between the jobs.

ppraveen
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ppraveen » 20 Jul 2010 6:27

Is there any other way other than creating a dummy job or copying a job.....

Eight
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Eight » 20 Jul 2010 5:35

ppraveen,

One other thing you can do is schedule JOB B (daily job) to order in every day except for Sunday. Then Schedule JOB A (weekly job) to order in on Sunday AND in the steps tab create when job ok "force job" and force job B in to run at that time. This way you don’t need to setup a direct dependency.

ppraveen
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ppraveen » 21 Jul 2010 4:59

Hi,

I would like to know why we are giving force job here when Job B would be getting the incondition from Job A. When you say Job B is daily job except for Sunday how will the job trigger when there is no run time mentioned in the Job B.

Eight
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Eight » 21 Jul 2010 4:50

You don’t need a condition at all...

As I understand your requirements:

B runs every day
A runs only on Sunday
On Sunday B is only dependent on A completion

... So if you:

Schedule B to run every day - except Sunday
Schedule A to only run Sunday
Set A to force order in B when it finishes successfully

... this would fulfill your requirements as I understand them above. No need for a condition because that would prevent B from running any other day. You can still put a start time in Job B if needed.

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 21 Jul 2010 10:58

Hi,

I suggest to use the 'MAYBE Conditions'
Look this post for example
Best regards
Walty

ppraveen
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ppraveen » 23 Jul 2010 8:59

Hi,

Can you please shed more light on this... Can you please tell me how this maybe condition works.... As we are using Control-M 6.3.1 we dont find any option as MAYBE... Its found in Mainframes but not in distributed, then how can we use the maybe condition.....

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 23 Jul 2010 9:44

Hi ppraveen,

The term 'maybe condition' is a word frequently used in the mainframe scheduling.
The term 'manual condition' is better adapted for this circonstance.

See the usage of the ctmldnrs utility in the CONTROL-M/Server Admin guide 6.3 (page 188)
Best regards
Walty

Winsome
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Winsome » 27 Jul 2010 5:52

ppraveen,

I must let you in one thing.... A job posts the condition only if it has completed fine. No job posts condition if it is abended , unless it is specified in the steps tab.

However, if your job posts the condition on abend, then the best option here would be to specify the condition in the steps tab.

In the steps tab of A job mention the below command
On Stmt* Code OK
Do Condition AB STAT +

And in the B job give the incondition as AB STAT and do not give an out condition.
A condition would stay in condition table only for a max of 5 days, unless it is removed. Hence I am using STAT instead of MAYBE, **** or any other option, because it will retain the condition forever (until and unless it is removed).

And split the B job into two , one which runs everyday except Saturday and the one which runs on Saturday, in the Saturday run specify the OUT condition AB STAT - (with a minus) to remove the condition from condition table. So that the next day,ie Sunday, the B job would wait for the A jobs run to complete.

Let me know if you still have doubts.
(And yes there is no MAYBE option in Control m)
Thx