Maxwait ignored for jobs in Scheduling Groups?

All questions about Control-M jobs definitions
rb26vl
Nouveau
Nouveau

Maxwait ignored for jobs in Scheduling Groups?

Post by rb26vl » 02 Feb 2010 1:51

I noticed some jobs disappearing from a schedule after the new day procedure even though I'd set the Maxwait to 1 on all the jobs. After further investigation the jobs which are being purged are all jobs within Scheduling Groups.

When viewing the job properties in the AJF in EM, the Maxwait field is blank for only jobs within Scheduling Groups, but its present when viewing the job definitions through the Table Manager (yes they're uploaded also).

Has anyone come across this? Is this a known bug in FP1 fixed in FP2?

Running Control-M 6.4.01 (FP1) on Windows Server 2003.

nicolas_mulot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by nicolas_mulot » 02 Feb 2010 7:16

rb26vl,

Is it the first time you use Scheduling Groups ? Have you noticed the problem before version 6.4.0?

The maxwait for SG jobs is different from standard jobs.

The retention is managed by the MAXWAIT of the group itself. If the MAXWAIT of the SG is lower than the maxwait of its jobs, the group will be removed when the MAXWAIT has been reached, whichever the maxwait of the job definition can be, and all the jobs will of course be removed.

The MAXWAIT of the group is the value of the MAXWAIT specified in the group’s last Sheduling Tags which can be used to order the SG.
After some tests I have made, it seem that the eventual MAXWAIT of the job on the AJF is a combination of the jobs’s maxwait and the maxwait of the Scheduling Tag which has been used to make the decision of ordering the job.
It depends as well wether the group is ordered or forced. If the group is forced, every job keep its own maxwait, while if the group is ordered, the jobs inherits the combination mentioned above.

As you can see, it is quite complex and I never found any documentation about that issue, so be simple: if you intent to specify the same value for all of the SG’s jobs, “1” in your example, just specify MAXWAIT 1 in all the tags of your SG.

Cheers
Nicolas_Mulot

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 02 Feb 2010 9:05

Agreed with Nicolas.

Faced with that problem too, operator put jobs into scheduling groups, set job's MaxWait parameters to "1", but he didn't set Maxwait for scheduling groups. Maxwait field in scheduling groups overrides the job's maxwait, so all jobs, when ordered into AJF, suddenly get MaxWait "0". :(

The solution is, like Nicolas said: put Maxwait parameter to "1" into scheduling groups tag.