Setting up a cyclic stream of jobs

All questions about Control-M jobs definitions
irateb
Nouveau
Nouveau

Setting up a cyclic stream of jobs

Post by irateb » 26 Dec 2008 4:54

Hello,

I am using 6.3.01 and what I am trying to do is set up a stream of 3 jobs that need to run multiple times a day, but I need them to run in order every time. My conditions must be incorrect somehow as they will run in order correctly the first time, but all subsequent runs result in all the jobs kicking off at the same time. What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks!

himanshu
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by himanshu » 28 Dec 2008 7:27

Define a exclusive Control resource in those three jobs to ensure that they wont run at one time.

irateb
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by irateb » 29 Dec 2008 4:09

Well, that worked to ensure that the jobs ran one at a time. Unfortunately, that did not ensure that the jobs ran in order. What is strange to me is that we have jobs in existence that do run cyclically in order, but I can't seem to reproduce them. If I click the 'Why?' on the jobs running properly, the first job will give me the 'Job's next time hasn't come yet' condition. The subsequent jobs in the stream will give me both the 'Job's next time hasn't come yet' and the 'Missing condition' conditions. With my jobs, all them just have the 'Job's next time hasn't come yet' condition, and so they run with no regard to the job before them. Also, the jobs running properly don't have control resources assigned to them so that makes it more of a mystery to me. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 29 Dec 2008 4:26

You must create out condition with "-" sign.

For examaple, in JobB you have the follwoing in the condition tab:

IN Conditions:
JobA-ENDED-OK

OUT Conditions:
JobA-ENDED-OK (but you must use minus sign (-) instead of plus (+) sign.

When finished, all jobs (in fact, JobB and JobC) must delete it precesessor condition. In that way, you can run jobs in order.
Also, you need to use exclusive Control resource.

If you still don't understand, I can send you an example in drf. file (6.3.01 version).

irateb
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by irateb » 29 Dec 2008 5:53

Thanks Dilbert, I think it is working now. I do have a couple more questions.

The first one is when I put the out-condition on JobC to delete the predecessor condition, it now has an out condition arrow attached to it. I assume that doesn't mean anything other than it bothering me that it's there and not attached to anything?

The second question involves a slightly different scenario. Let's say JobA and JobB run every 15 minutes, but JobC runs every hour. Does JobB create 4 in-conditions for JobC? What I am trying to figure out is if JobC needs to delete 4 predecessor conditions by having 4 of the same 'minus' out conditions or if the one 'minus' out condition would take care of all the predecessor conditions. Is it even possible for the same in/out condition to be listed multiple times in the same job? I'm going to experiment with this, but I'd still like your input.

Thanks again!

ejtoedtli
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ejtoedtli » 29 Dec 2008 7:51

The out condition is only going to be created once. It will not be created 4 times. The job log will contain a message if the condition can not be added because it already exists but it will not have any impact on the execution of the job. You only need to delete it once.