Conditions between Scheduling groups didn't passed... why?

All questions about Control-M jobs definitions
Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Conditions between Scheduling groups didn't passed... why?

Post by Dilbert » 14 Mar 2008 8:45

Hello all...

There is something confusing. I have 3 scheduling groups, A --> B --> C

Group B must finish OK and passed it's out conditions to group C.
Group A & C is running every day, five day in week (Monday to Friday).
Group B is running only in Monday.

But, for Tuesdasy, Wednesday and so on, CONTROL-M didn't create missing conditions for group C (conditions from B to C), and operator always must manually add this condition.
In and Out conditions are defined in group definitions.
Adjust conditions parameter is set to Yes, but it is only for jobs inside scheduling groups. How to manage conditions in similar way between scheduling groups? I can't find in documentation. :(

All 3 Scheduling groups have confirmation parameter set to on.
Environment is CONTROL-M 6.3.01 ENterprise Manager for WIndows and INCONTROL for z/OS 6.2.18

I'm not sure, but I think that I read somewhere about it - if the scheduling groups have confirmation parameter set to on, they can't pass conditions between groups, but I'm not sure about it, and I can't remember where I saw it.

Any help will be appreciated. Tnx.

richardoku
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by richardoku » 14 Mar 2008 2:21

Hi Dilbert,

Have a look at the CTMLDNRS utility. This one is very handy to handle 'Maybe' job processing. Indeed the Group Scheduling Adjust Condition handles only the jobs inside the group.

With CTMLDNRS you first create the Manual Condition list (option CALCCOND). These are all the conditions which (at runtime) will not be added later on by any job in the AJF. Next you can use CTMLDNRS (option LOAD) to add the 'missing' conditions! Since you can schedule these jobs :wink: it is easy to control this mechanism. This process was quite common in the time that Control-M did not have the 'ADJUST Condition'/Group scheduling capability.

Still some remarks :!: This process will not 'know' of any conditions which could be set by external interfaces etc... To simplify; it is strongly advised to design this type of relations with a special condition name, e.g. Handle only conditions starting with '#' etc... The LOAD is selective i.e. Add only '#*' conditions.

Please take your time to test this thoroughly. Any questions are welcome!
Best regards.

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 14 Mar 2008 4:25

Hi

Look old topic here: http://www.scheduler-usage.com/modules. ... opic&t=300

Regards
Walty

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 15 Mar 2008 10:15

Thanks you all for the reply. :)

I'm just studying the CONTROL-M manual (for CONTROL-M/Server, page 188, ctmldnrs utility), and noticed that, in this case, I can add required conditions using Prerequisite Conditions Window. It's already done in my environment, I entered the name of required conditions, set date parameter as ODAT (maybe is there something wrong, I think that I must use other parameter not ODAT) but the scheduling groups can't see that condiiton!
That's confusing!
Operator always must manually add condition, and we want avoid that.
I will try using ctmldnrs utility on CONTROL-M/Server on Linux, so LInux will manage conditions required by INCONTROL for z/OS...
It should work...

What do you think, guys?

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 17 Mar 2008 9:12

I just tested similar situation in distributed system environment (CONTROL-M/EM on Windows and CONTROL-M/Server on Linux). 2 Scheduling groups, one of them create condition for the other, with ODAT parameter. When order Scheduling groups, condition didn't passed, but when I created missing condition in Prerequisite condition window, everything works fine. And I don't know why this thing didn't work at client's environment, in combination of Windows (EM) and z/OS environment (INCONTROL )...

hipikll

Post by hipikll » 17 Mar 2008 10:02

add %%PRECMD=SLEEP 90 unix
and %%PRECMD=_sleep 90 win
to correctly handle the bidirectional condition.
your problem is about short time to handle Global conditions by datacenters.
Increase this time or use mentioned %%PRECMD.
Also, it can be the network problem - delay time.

fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 18 Mar 2008 8:34

Hi

Here is another possible way?
You can create a dummy job runninf only fron thursday to friday and posting the good condition at the good time, as GROUP B to C.

No need manuel condition and particular parameter.

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 19 Mar 2008 11:17

I used fyot's solution... before I saw it here. :)

Created dummy job on another data center (Linux) and passed that condition via Global Conditions to another data center (CONTROL-M on z/OS mainframe). The next step will be hide that Linux data center from users, because they don't really need it.

But, there is something confusing... conditions between scheduling groups which didn't run on same day MUST WORK, as conditions between jobs in same scheduling groups works using ADJUST CONDITIONS parameter (if predecessor job that create conditon for the next job didn't run on the same day). And I don't know why it didn't work at customer's site... maybe because they use manual confirmation for all jobs and groups (they are still in test phase - manual production, before moving into automatic production without manual condition).