Export control-m jobs to flow chart easily

Tools and several solutions to manage Control-M products
dayspring
Nouveau
Nouveau

Export control-m jobs to flow chart easily

Post by dayspring » 28 Mar 2014 6:40

Hi,

Control-M jobs which were in xml files or Enterprise Manager can now be easily converted to HTML flow chart. Some of the benefits are

1) Flow chart with job information for each job
2) Error-free documentation & presentation of Job flows
3) Share flows with non Control-M users
4) View Job flows in HTML or PNG format
5) Save time spent on updating Excel or Visio

You can find the sample output here http://www.dayspringlabs.com/downloads/demo.html

You can also download and try using the tool from http://www.dayspringlabs.com

Thanks,
John 
Dayspring Technologies

jCarlos
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by jCarlos » 29 Mar 2014 8:04

tried it but didn't work for me, could be that program doesn't work with some versions of control-m

dayspring
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by dayspring » 30 Mar 2014 7:55

Hi Carlos,

The program works for Control-M V6,V7 and V8. To figure out the exact issue you are dealing, can you give me the exact error message you are getting.

Also below are the two methods to use the program,

If you have Control-M Enterprise manager installed in you machine and the jobs are loaded into the workspace then you can use this method. If you don't have jobs loaded into workspace then the program will complain that it didn't find the workflow.

1) Run export_to_html.exe by clicking on it or running it from command prompt (Recommended to run from command prompt)
2) During the first run, the application will search for ControlM Enterprise Manager so it may take some time. Please wait until you are prompted.
3) You will be promoted to enter ControlM GUI server name (you will be prompted only during your first run)
4) You will be prompted to enter the controlM server name where the workflows or folders are scheduled to run
5) Enter your Control-M Enterprise manager login credentials
6) You will be prompted to enter the Application name of the workflows (This is case sensitive so be careful)
7) You will be prompted to enter the location where the output file should be saved
8) After the successful run, you will find the html file exported to the location you specified.

If you have exported the xml files using exportdeftable utility then you can use this method.

1) If you already have the job xml file which was exported using the exportdeftablepath command then you can directly pass the file as the parameter
Example: export_to_html.exe -f c:\job.xml
2) Use -p option to generate additional png file
3) After the successful run, you will find the html file (and png, if -p is used) exported to the location you specified.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

John
John 
Dayspring Technologies

jCarlos
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by jCarlos » 31 Mar 2014 5:34

[the command is sucessful] but when i open the xml it show this:

--**edited to make this post smaller since it was a wrong output
[/color]
Last edited by jCarlos on 02 Apr 2014 4:31, edited 1 time in total.

dayspring
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by dayspring » 31 Mar 2014 6:04

Hi Carlos,

The actual output file should be a HTML file so in your case it is a XML file. I think you gave the output file name as xxxx.xml. Only the input name should be XML file. Kindly change the output name to some_name.html

Also, if possible can you send me the xml file to support@dayspringlabs.com so I can send you the output flow chart immediately.

Thanks,
John 
Dayspring Technologies

jCarlos
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by jCarlos » 31 Mar 2014 6:27

you were right, i just used xml instead html, it works perfectly, would be better if the job box width auto adjust to the job name length

dayspring
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by dayspring » 31 Mar 2014 8:44

Good to hear that everything worked well.

The job name expands when you move your mouse over a job but still i think we should consider auto resize.

Thanks for your feedback.

jCarlos
Nouveau
Nouveau

Job Flow March 30 Update

Post by jCarlos » 02 Apr 2014 4:06

Think about this. If you had 2000 XML files and wanted to convert them to HTML Flow documents. You had to run the tool 2000 times. We thought about this painful process.

Today we have added a new functionality. You just have to point the tool to the directory containing all the XML files and the output location.

Example: export_to_html.exe -d d:\xml_files

I hope you will like this functionality.

If your trial has expired then we want to give you 30 more runs. Please follow the below steps,

1) Download the application directly by clicking here
2) Unzip and install
3) Change directory to Job Flow location
4) Type on command line: export_to_html.exe -l
5) Copy and paste: b61896cb3f2a79e7
6) Thats it. Now you can try the above example with your XML files.

jdj420
Nouveau
Nouveau

taking long time to create html

Post by jdj420 » 04 Apr 2014 6:11

i am trying to use the tool to create a html flow of one of our larger flows and it has been running for about an hour now. we have many flows of this size and if it is going to take this long than i can't see it being worth it. how long should i wait before assuming it just isn't going to complete? total jobs in this particular flow is 731. please advise.

p.s. after letting it run for 5 1/2 hours i finally cancelled it.

jCarlos
Nouveau
Nouveau

update

Post by jCarlos » 05 Apr 2014 5:12

running on a 901 jobs flow, i will tell you later how it goes.

:well, you were right it seems to get stuck or it have a limit about how much jobs it can handle, it were running for almost 10 hours and nothing, i don't know if the software is running or stuck but hope dayspring can tell us.

pht64
Nouveau
Nouveau

Professional Flowchart

Post by pht64 » 06 Apr 2014 11:32

If you are looking for a more professional flowcharting tool for Control-M, have a look at VISUALjob for Control-M:

http://www.apsware.com/en/control-m-sol ... wcharting/

dayspring
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by dayspring » 06 Apr 2014 5:35

Hi jCarlos and jdj420,

I have tested with a large number of jobs and it just completes within minutes. With 900 jobs, it should not take more than 5-10 minutes. We will update you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

John

jdj420
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by jdj420 » 17 Apr 2014 5:25

dayspring wrote:Hi jCarlos and jdj420,

I have tested with a large number of jobs and it just completes within minutes. With 900 jobs, it should not take more than 5-10 minutes. We will update you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

John
Thank you for fixing the application. The file was created correctly and withing a couple of minutes.

dayspring
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by dayspring » 21 May 2014 8:05

Couple of things updated on Job Flow

1) Loading performance increased by 80%
2) Branching to neighborhood jobs easily
3) Zoom in and Zoom out
4) Hover on jobs to see the dependencies

dayspring
Nouveau
Nouveau

A new user interface

Post by dayspring » 10 Jul 2014 7:22

We have introduced a new GUI for Job Flow. Kindly take a look at it and give your valuable feedback. You can download Job Flow from http://www.dayspringlabs.com