Convert/move jobs from ControlM 6.1.03 to 6.4.1

Tools and several solutions to manage Control-M products
bwcarr
Nouveau
Nouveau

Convert/move jobs from ControlM 6.1.03 to 6.4.1

Post by bwcarr » 31 Aug 2010 6:33

Does anyone know if there is a way move tables and jobs from a ControlM 6.1.03 environment into an existing 6.4.1 environment without having to do a migrate? The 6.4.1 environment already has pre-existing Tables and jobs defined.

Thanks

brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

CONVERT/MOVE JOBS FROM CONTROL-M 6.1.03 TO 6.4.01

Post by brownbag » 31 Aug 2010 7:46

Is your concern to avoid migrating altogether or to save the existing jobs? If the latter, then you can just save the existing tables/jobs using the exportdeftable utility (or just save a draft but then you don't save the table details - basically the user daily).
Then do the migration and then once this is finished, you can load the saved tables back into the 6.4.01 environment.

bwcarr
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by bwcarr » 31 Aug 2010 8:08

Hi Brownbag,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to avoid a migration if possible. I have used the exportdeftable utility before. Will the XML file generated from using the exportdeftable utility within v6.1.03 be compatible with v6.4.1 and be able to effectively merged into this environment using the deftable utility?

Would the use of a draft which has been saved from the v6.1.03 environment be able to be loaded into the v6.4.1 Control-M desktop and written t0 ControlM-EM? Would it create the table/application/group based on the details in the job definitions from the draft?

I am also reading the Controm-M Migration Manual - 70705 for information on migrating to a pre-existing ctm environment with pre-existing tables and jobs already in place.

brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

MIGRATION FROM 6.1.03 TO 6.4.01

Post by brownbag » 31 Aug 2010 8:16

Unfortunately, you won't be able to export jobs from 6.1.03 and import them into 6.4.01, as the format is quite different. If you want to avoid migration at all costs, you should do the following:
1. Export tables from 6.1.03 using exportdeftable.
2. Export tables from 6.4.01 using exportdeftable.
3. Compare the format of the two xml files resulting from each export.
4. Make manual changes to the 6.1.03 export. You will need to change the format a little and add new fields into every job.
5. Import into the updated xml file into 6.4.01.

nicolas_mulot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by nicolas_mulot » 31 Aug 2010 8:24

Bwcarr,

Brownbag was a bit faster ans sent his notes while I was writing mine, which follow:

The best is to export your 6.1 at the EM level using exportdeftable, then to import the export file to 6.4 using deftable.

The file should be adapted during export and import.

At least, all your cyclic jobs, identified by CYCLIC=”1” should include in 6.4 the new parameter CYCLIC_TYPE=”Interval”. You can specify both parameters on the same line, i.e. a simple sed command should work.
In addition, it might be a good idea, in order to give you the possibility to run multiple tests without affecting your existing 6.4 environment, to define a test data_center as the target. Just define, for example, a TEST640 datacenter thru the configuration manager with dummy attributes (TCP port=1111, hostame=xxxxx), and change your xml file by updating DATATCENTER=”your_dc” to DATACENTER=”TEST640”. This can be done using sed too.

If you need to rerun the sequence several time, the deftable should include the /o flag to avoid having to delete the newly created tables.
Once the export/import sequence has run OK, you can:
1°) rerun it without changing the DATACENTER=
2°) local delete all the tables from TEST640 using control-m/Desktop
3°) delete the TEST640 datacenter which is now useless
4°) mass upload your newly created tables using control-m/Desktop.

ATTENTION !! - From that point on, your converted definitions will be under the full control of your 640 controlm server and its dependant processes, especially the dailies. So pay attention to avoid double order (6.1 AND 6.4). The mass upload should be considered carefully, and probably postponed to the actual date when you consider giving up the 6.1

You might have additional errors during deftable, which you will have to correct on the xml file.

Think of correcting the potential errors in an automated way (script the exportdeftable, sed and deftable) as much as possible. In case the DATACENTER name is different between 6.1 and 6.4, the sed for DATACENTER= will be part of the sequence anyway.

Good luck
Nicolas_Mulot

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 31 Aug 2010 10:45

Hi all,

Have you look this post
I used this approach (based on 'temporary Datacenter' ) to migrate only specific scheduling table(s) from Old Datacenter to New Datacenter without full migration.
Best regards
Walty

Venkateshwarulu
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Venkateshwarulu » 31 Aug 2010 4:43

Hello,

I have performed the below steps to migrate tables from the old environment (6.3.01) to the new existing environment (6.3.01)

1.export the table to text file (tableprod.txt) in ASCII format using the following command. Please logon as the Control-M Server account and issue:

ctmexdef -FILE /controlM/home/ctrlm610/uploadtab -TABLE "NEW_PROD" -JOBNAME "*"

2. FTP the "tableprod.txt" file to the new Control-M Server platform. Change its permission to be executable by the Control-M Server account.

3. Run this file as the Control-M server account, for example, at the command prompt "./tableprod.txt". This will execute the "ctmdefine" commands inside the file and create the job definitions for table "NEW_PROD" in the Control-M Server database.

4. Logon to Control-M Desktop on the new system, and in the Scheduling Table Manager, create a new table called "NEW_PROD" under the UNIX datacenter.

5. Select this new table and perform a "Download" on it. This will pull the job definitions from the Control-m Server DB to the EM DB, and you should now be able to view, edit and order these jobs as needed

4. Logon to Control-M Desktop on the new system, and in the Scheduling Table Manager, create a new table called "NEW_PROD" under the UNIX datacenter.

5. Select this new table and perform a "Download" on it. This will pull the job definitions from the Control-m Server DB to the EM DB, and you should now be able to view, edit and order these jobs as needed

Good Luck

Venkat

nicolas_mulot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by nicolas_mulot » 31 Aug 2010 5:06

careful with Venkateshwarulu's suggestion.

Doing so, you job definitions will straightly be put on the control-m/SERVER database, and are likely to be ordered by the next daily session of your 6.40 environement.
This will not give you any time to check your definitions and you are exposed to the risk of having your prod running twice.

In addition, this does not protect you against the compatibility issue.

You'd better work in the control-m/EM environment first, as suggested by Brownbag, Walty and myself, which is far more safer

Cheers

bwcarr
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by bwcarr » 31 Aug 2010 11:32

Tnak you all for the promt and detailed responses. I will have a look at the options and get on with the job. Regards

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 01 Sep 2010 3:16

Hy,

It only could be done by the used of the migrate_dc
You must use EM server,
first switch your datacenter to the new 6.4 EM version
do a table/userdaily list, and making a little scripts, make an xml file with only the necessary to create tables
download all tables to your 6.1 version
logon to the em user and use the following command:
gateway down !!!
migrate_dc -U <db> -P <db> -DC <datacenter> -VERSION 640
after that use the desktop all tables from the old dc to the new dc
upload all new tables to the new dc
duplicate all calendar to the new dc using the desktop.

the download will synchronize QR, but you must recreate Global condition

regards
Philmalmaison

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 01 Sep 2010 3:22

sorry
i forgot that after making the xml file, use the following to recreate empty tables before downloading:

deftable -u<emuser> -p<empass> -s <GUI> -src <XML> /a /o

make the download after

regards
Philmalmaison

Echelon
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Echelon » 18 Sep 2010 11:45

What i did was more simple than that.
I had export the jobs as draft from 6.2.
On the 6.4 environment i had loaded the draft using the Control-M Desktop.
I has able to loaded it but not able to Write it. On the 6.4 Desktop i have saved the draft previous loaded as XML and then i was able to open it and changed things like the Datacenter.
After i changing what i needed i had loaded again as XML on 6.4 and i was able to write and upload.
I has a problem related with the Cyclic when i was uploading the jobs but i had an option to ignore. I had ignored and when i checked the jobs i saw no problem at all.

Thanks.

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 20 Sep 2010 5:00

did you test them ? (cyclic)

regards
Philmalmaison

Echelon
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Echelon » 21 Sep 2010 8:00

Hi,

After i loaded the jobs with the cyclic errors i has able to run all 200 jobs without any problems.
The only issue i had was when i tried to change some of the jobs with the cyclic problems i get an error saying that no interval defined. After i open the cyclic setting on those jobs i realize that the interval was there. After i save it again the error was gone for good.

Resuming: I open the job....click on the cyclic button... check the interval...close and save the job and the error was gone....

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 22 Sep 2010 4:52

so if you have 2000 or 3000 jobs (200000 run in the site on witch i work)
to change after, it is preferable to use the migrate_dc, because it change this automatically

regards
philmalmaison