SQL server

Tools and several solutions to manage Control-M products
Diablau
Nouveau
Nouveau

SQL server

Post by Diablau » 28 Aug 2009 3:28

Hello all!
We would like to know what is the purpose of the SQL server? Is it really necessary? I mean, is the write operation on the Control-M/EM server not enough? Maybe it's a stupid question, but we really don't understand the utility of the process write and upload.
Is this just a space question or what?
Thank you.

Diablau
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Diablau » 01 Sep 2009 2:12

Ok, I understand that, but it doesn't tell me if the SQL server is really necessary?
Thank you.

GNappo
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by GNappo » 01 Sep 2009 3:18

Hi Diablau,

I think there is a misunderstanding!

The write operation define all information about the job you have configured, into EM DataBase.

The upload operation make the same definition into Control-M Server DataBase.

Without SQL Server (For Windows and Oracle for Unix) this two operation are not possible because there is no DataBase on OS.
Moreover whithout SQL Server or Oracle you are not able to install Control-m EM or Server.

Best Regards

Giuseppe Nappo

ranger67
Nouveau
Nouveau

Re: SQL server

Post by ranger67 » 01 Sep 2009 7:22

Diablau wrote:Hello all!
We would like to know what is the purpose of the SQL server? Is it really necessary? I mean, is the write operation on the Control-M/EM server not enough? Maybe it's a stupid question, but we really don't understand the utility of the process write and upload.
Is this just a space question or what?
Thank you.
I'd like to break this down. Your first question of the purpose of the SQL server. The database server in the control-m application is where all data is stored. Utilizing both internal and external coding the SQL data is the core of the scheduling system. Without a database, the data would need to be organized into thousands, if not millions, of files, and access times for that data would be greatly increased. So, in a word, the database is not only necessary, but imperative.

The write and upload functions are the moving of the data into first one then another database. You may not be aware, but there is a database server at both the EM and CTM/Server levels. The write places the initial definition information into the EM database. The upload takes the information from the EM database and replicates it into the CTM/Server database. Once the data has been propagated, the table/jobs are ready for running. The benefit of having two databases is numerous, but the most apparent to me is the staging capability.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

th_alejandro
Nouveau
Nouveau

check this

Post by th_alejandro » 01 Sep 2009 10:32

Control-M is an application, it can be run on many databases, like SQL server. In fact Control-M is not a database engine, it's only an application that need to storage data in a database, may be oracle, sql server, postgres, etc.