Please, help with ControlM

Everything about Control-M Enterprise Manager Server installation or setup.
Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Please, help with ControlM

Post by Dilbert » 10 Jan 2007 8:57

Hello all!

I'm new in ControlM products, and I have a small problem which I don't know how to solve.
I have a WinXP machine with VMWare server with virtual Vin2003 Server where ControlM products are installed, 6.2.0.1. version.
Everything works fine, I have small virtual network, file sharing, both computers can access each other.
I created all needed components for the ControlM, and everything works fine on my local (virtual) environment under Win2003 Server.

But now I have tried to create a new ControlM gateway component to connect on my physical machine with WinXP.
Component is created, icon of this component is green, status is active, but component is always "Disconnected".
I enabled the same users on both machines, ControlM agent from WinXP can ping ControlM Server on Win2003, but ControlM server cannot connect to ControlM agent. Firewall is off. Maybe I must install agent from the same user in XP as the user in Win2003? Agent is installed from my local account with administrator privileges.

What I'm doing wrong? Can anybody please tell me tips&tricks how to make connection between ControlM server and agent on my environment? Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 10 Jan 2007 9:42

Hi,

Be careful, Gateway concerns only the link between a Control-M Server and Control-EM Server. Gateway is used in jobs definition to know which Control-M server will be responsible to manage them.

A Control-M Agent isn't normally supported under Windows XP.
You can install and use an agent after disabled XP Firewall.

After that you need to be sure Control-M Server could communicate with your agent. To be sure you need to verify TCP ports used between them.

Use Control-M and Control-EM Administration guide to find all utilities used to manage them.

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 10 Jan 2007 10:33

Hi, fyot!
fyot wrote: Be careful, Gateway concerns only the link between a Control-M Server and Control-EM Server. Gateway is used in jobs definition to know which Control-M server will be responsible to manage them.
OK, I understand that, but, for example, how I can control and manage my XP machine through ControlM, without installing ControlM Server on that machine?
fyot wrote:A Control-M Agent isn't normally supported under Windows XP.
You can install and use an agent after disabled XP Firewall.
XP firewall is disabled. I'm using Kaspersky, but with "Pause protection" option when I work with virtual machine and ControlM. Kaspersky is in the "tutorial" mode, it pop-up every time when unknown connections and ports are tried to use by applications..
I can manually open the ports for Control in Kaspersky, that's not problem.

I will try the following: make a clean WinXP install in VMWare, without firewall and other stuff, and then try to connect with ControlM server running on Win2003.

fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 10 Jan 2007 10:40

Hi,

You can't manage Control-M Agent through Control-M Server.
With Control-M Server tools you can only indecate to your engine special parameter used to communicate with your agnet if you don't use standard ports.

On your XP machine you will find some utilities to manage Control-M Agent parameters.

Check Control-M Agent and Server Ports, I mean it will be enough to solve your problem.

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 10 Jan 2007 11:18

fyot wrote:Hi,

You can't manage Control-M Agent through Control-M Server.
In fact, I mean how I can create and order jobs in Control-M Desktop on Win2003 environment, jobs that will run through network on my XP machine? For example, using "dir" command from Win2003 to view directories and files on XP machines. Or whatever...

Sorry If' I'm asking too much, but, as I told, I'm newbie in Control-M products. :) I want learn, I'm reading user guide, but can't go through this step. :(

fyot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by fyot » 10 Jan 2007 11:25

Hi,

I understood, so I think you must read following document.
It must help you. There is on the site to be download, a simple presentation of Control-M and jobs defintion. CTM.pdf

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 11 Jan 2007 12:32

fyot wrote:Hi,

I understood, so I think you must read following document.
It must help you. There is on the site to be download, a simple presentation of Control-M and jobs defintion. CTM.pdf
Thanks, fyot!
Now I got the whole picture. My mistake is that I don't check the options in ctm_menu, how to ping and discover agent in environment.
Now everything works fine, I can control other machines in environment with Control-M products.
One down, more to go. ;)