Best Platform to host Control-M On?

Everything about Control-M Enterprise Manager Server installation or setup.

Solaris or Wintel VM?

Poll ended at 23 May 2012 1:28

Solaris
100%
Wintel
No votes

Total votes: 3

RoscoeJ
Nouveau
Nouveau

Best Platform to host Control-M On?

Post by RoscoeJ » 16 May 2012 1:28

Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of both upgrading our Control-M Version and refreshing the hardware it runs on.

We have the opportunity to use either Solaris (running Ver.10 and hosted in a Blade) or a Wintel VM and I was wondering what others thought about which offered the "best practice".

Which server offers the best as far as stability and usability in your opinion and which is the easiest to administer from a Control-M Admin perspective?

Personally I prefer the Solaris solution but I am definitely open to hear others thoughts!

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Ross

Sobriquet
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Sobriquet » 17 May 2012 7:53

It always depends on the environment size.

If the job count running in active environment was <5000>5000, it is better to go with Unix platform.

But i personally choose Solaris all the time.

Cheers,
Sriman
Last edited by Sobriquet on 17 May 2012 7:55, edited 1 time in total.

badenhw1
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by badenhw1 » 17 May 2012 7:07

I've hosted EM's on Solaris, HP-UX and Linux and it's all good - anything but Windows. Have been running on HP-UX since ecs600. For our next upgrade I'm moving the EM to Linux, the latest fixpacks for CTM 7 sorted out issues on the platform.

brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

windows or unix

Post by brownbag » 24 May 2012 7:48

I've seen Control-M running on Windows many times with no stability problems. One of the considerations is your use of environments. If you are going to run multiple Development/Test environments are you going to use one Control-M/Server for each 'environment' then you may want to consider whether you want each Control-M/Server to be on its own host (physical or virtual). If you want to put all Control-M/Servers on the one host, it must be done on UNIX as this is not possible on Windows. But if you are happy to provision one server for each, then your decision may relate to difficulty/cost of maintaining new partitions/VMs or whatever (depending on platform).

If your environments are all going to be managed by one Control-M/Server then the above considerations are irrelevant. So I would go with the platform on which you have most expertise, but giving a slight priority to UNIX (and if you have no particular expertise in any, then Linux).

jstarkw
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by jstarkw » 16 Jul 2012 6:52

Unix or Linux for the win. Currently running 6.4.01 on Win2003. Need to reboot monthly (per BMC tech support) or gets sluggish and hangs sometimes. Also have to worry about all the microsoft security updates as company policy is to install them monthly. One day a security update will break control-m.
I am in the process of migrating to version 7.0 on Red hat Linux with the PostgreSQL databases. Looking forward to far fewer headaches and random behavior.