UNIX Server DNS Changed

Everything about Control-M Enterprise Manager Server installation or setup.
GregE
Nouveau
Nouveau

UNIX Server DNS Changed

Post by GregE » 21 Nov 2011 9:47

We moved our development environment to a new environment (new data center, new UNIX servers), and kept the old name as an alias in DNS so that all CM jobs would not have to be changed.

The scheduler team tells me that they had to change all the jobs. This concerns me because we are about to move to a new production environment as well.

So OLDSERVER_1 was given an alias of NEWSERVER_1. Why did she have to change all of the jobs to point to NEWSERVER_1 to get them to function properly?

Sobriquet
Nouveau
Nouveau

Re: UNIX Server DNS Changed

Post by Sobriquet » 23 Nov 2011 7:16

GregE wrote:We moved our development environment to a new environment (new data center, new UNIX servers), and kept the old name as an alias in DNS so that all CM jobs would not have to be changed.

The scheduler team tells me that they had to change all the jobs. This concerns me because we are about to move to a new production environment as well.

So OLDSERVER_1 was given an alias of NEWSERVER_1. Why did she have to change all of the jobs to point to NEWSERVER_1 to get them to function properly?

Hi Greg,

If you propely defined the DNS alias naming convention, then no need to change any parameters in jobs.

example:

For testserver.domain.com i will define the allias the DNS entry as new.testserver.domain.com.

So whenever a query comes to DNS for testserver it will be diverted to new.testserver incase "testserver.domain.com" was not available.

Experts,

Please Correct me if i was wrong.

Thanks,
Sriman