How is Total Jobs Count Derrived in EM Gui?

Everything about Control-M Enterprise Manager Server installation or setup.
cbabkirk
Nouveau
Nouveau

How is Total Jobs Count Derrived in EM Gui?

Post by cbabkirk » 17 Nov 2011 3:35

In the lower right corner of the Ctontrol-M EM Mgr viewpoint screen a summary of tables, sub-tables, and jobs is maintained throughout the day. Can anyone tell me how these numbers are derived? I expect that the jobs count is the number of jobs ordered into the AJF for the current day. Would it also include any jobs ordered when a user does and order/force? Could it also include any jobs ordered in the past but placed on hold as they continue to show up in the viewpoint each day even though they have very old ODATEs. Does the count include BIM service definitions? Does it include the count of tables in the jobs total?

I cannot find anything in the docs that tells me how this number is computed.

Thanks in advance for your insights...

-Cliff

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 23 Nov 2011 4:53

Hi,
For counting jobs accordingly with BMC Software, use the reporting facilty.
What is in the count are all jobs from AJF, but on average on the year.
BMC Software ask for extreme peak on the year using the reporting facility.
That is what is taken to calculate licencing in jobs and not by power/host.

Regards,
Philmalmaison

GrahamH
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by GrahamH » 23 Nov 2011 11:39

Hi Cliff.

The count you see in the GUI is a total based on the viewpoint you have open. Therefore if you open the default view of ALL JOBS, the totals will be every job in the AJF regardless of date. When users add jobs to the AJF (order or force) the job counts will be increased. If you hold some jobs, the count will remain the same.

If you switch to Active Jobs viewpoint, this count will be different as you have previously held a few jobs, and they are no longer present in the current viewpoint.

Regards.

Graham.

cbabkirk
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by cbabkirk » 28 Nov 2011 6:49

Thanks to all that replied to my post.

I am most interested in the reply from Philmalmaison as it gets to the reason for my question as it relates to historical daily totals rather than todays totals. If we are to begin using the reporting facility to determine high water mark, we need to understand what is counted as a task when computing and recording the daily totals for the past year. I only recently realized that ordering a job and placing it on hold would would cause it to be counted in each days total until it was released or deleted. In the case of ordering entire tables of jobs, this could account for large numbers of held jobs being counted each day even though they would not run. And in the case where the user had forgotten about these held jobs and they became esentially abandoned, the daily total job count could be artificially high for quite some time and put the high water mark at risk. This is why I am trying to learn what gets counted so we can educate our deveopers and operators on best practices that will not cause artificial licensing issues. I am told that some tables such as smart tables get counted as a task. Is this true and if so why?
regards,
Cliff

chris59
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by chris59 » 29 Nov 2011 9:40

Hi Cliff

You can use some SQL querys to count your jobs and groups.

For example :

Number of groups in AJF:
select count(orderno) from cmr_ajf where tasktype = 'G';

Number of jobs in AJF:
select count(orderno) from cmr_ajf where tasktype != 'G';

Number of jobs ordered today in AJF:
select count(orderno) from cmr_ajf where tasktype != 'G' and ODATE = '20111128';

Number of groups ordered today in AJF:
select count(orderno) from cmr_ajf where tasktype = 'G' and ODATE = '20111128';

Use a script to edit a report, before your "new day procedure"

Regards
Christophe

cbabkirk
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by cbabkirk » 29 Nov 2011 2:34

Hello Christophe,

These are great suggestions. I will try these out in the next few days.

regards,
Cliff

meshearer
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by meshearer » 15 Aug 2012 8:43

Hello All,

To provide me with a daily list of the Control-M tasks I created a BMC job that runs right before new day and executes the following command on the Control-M/Server:

ctmdbcount | grep "CMR_AJF table" | mailx -s "The count of production BMC tasks" <email_address>

The body of the email I receive has:

count of records in CMR_AJF table: 1252