Cyclic Dependent job

Everything about Control-M Enterprise Manager Server installation or setup.
niras
Nouveau
Nouveau

Cyclic Dependent job

Post by niras » 10 Mar 2011 5:21

Hi-

I have JobA that runs cyclic at specific times 12:30 PM and 5:30 PM and Job B is dependent on JobA successful (ENDED-OK) completion and has to run whenever JobA runs and end OK

Well,Job B runs fine when Job A at 12:30 PM runs and End-OK,where as Job B does not get triggered when JOb A runs at 5:30 PM and End_ok.

Options tried:
1. Tried 'Maxwait' with parameter 1 on Job B defination,but didnot work.
2. I deleted the dependency between JobA and B and configured to Force Job B when JobA runs successfully from JobA Steps tab.

This works fine but Job B gets ordered and runs on ND time apart from my requirement(Ex: if my NDP is at 12AM,Job B runs at this time)

Please suggest the right approach to get this work as expected

Fredmon
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Fredmon » 10 Mar 2011 8:15

Niras,
you have a couple of options.
1) You can set jobA up using the forcejob command so that it forces in jobB when jobA completes successfully.

2) I think you kind of mentioned this approach but you can set up both jobs as cyclic jobs with the two times specified in each job. Then have jobA as a instatement for JobB, After jobB completes have it erase the instatement from jobA. This way the jobs will link back up by the in & out statements and run accordingly.

3) if you use #2 you also might want to add a control resource so that the job can not be submitted at the same time.

We I hope this helps

niras
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by niras » 10 Mar 2011 11:06

Thanks Fredmon for quick reply.

If I am right, Your 1) is same as my point 2 but as I mentioned there is an issue that I am facing with this approach
i.e "This works fine but Job B gets ordered and runs on ND time apart from my requirement(Ex: if my NDP is at 12AM,Job B runs at this time)"

Appraoch of defining cyclic time on each of the job works but we really need to kickoff JObB as soon as JobA completed success. Configuring cyclic times on each job runs only specified times

Any other suggestions are appreciated

Fredmon
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Fredmon » 11 Mar 2011 9:13

Niras,
have you tried setting the maxwait 0 / blank. give that a try and see if it works. Good luck.

niras
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by niras » 11 Mar 2011 9:56

I have tried that option initially as well..didnot work

Thanks

ejtoedtli
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ejtoedtli » 16 Mar 2011 9:32

We have lots of cyclic jobs and most of them have a JOBA creating a condition that JOBB is waiting for. JOBA contains the desired scheduling criteria. JOBB is scheduled with a 1 minute cycle time and scheduled for 00:15 - 23:50. Therefore JOBB is sitting in Control-M waiting on the condition from JOBA nearly all of the time. This also allows you to make scheduling changes to JOBA without having to make changes to JOBB. This technique works great for us.

niras
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by niras » 17 Mar 2011 5:11

ej-

Thanks for the reply.I have tried this option and works OK .The problem is for JobB that has to run only twice,we are running JobB many times cyclically in specifc intervals/times. This would consume processing resource unnecessarly.

If there is other option, prob'bly I would go with this

ejtoedtli
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ejtoedtli » 18 Mar 2011 5:43

If JOBB is running on the scheduled cycle then you don't have something coded properly with the condition handling for the condition passed between the jobs. JOBB should be waiting for a Condition from JOBA most of the time. JOBB should only run after JOBA adds the condition. Is JOBB deleting the condition when it is complete (out condition with a minus sign)?

niras
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by niras » 18 Mar 2011 6:07

Sure.I got that ..Thanks