Low on Database Space

Everything about Control-M Enterprise Manager Server installation or setup.
th_alejandro
Nouveau
Nouveau

Low on Database Space

Post by th_alejandro » 10 Mar 2010 8:23

It's a bug ?

I'm working with Control-M EM v6.3.01 for 2 years. Recently, a month ago, i apply the fixpack 400 and from that moment (not in the first 2 years), i have every day the message in the ECS console 'Low Database Space'. Mi Oracle DBA check for tablespaces and no more then 60% of used space appears. My System operator check filesystem and no more than 40% are in used. I try to manage this message as an issue to my local country support from bmc, and say me that run 'purgue_runinfo' as recommendation :

"The RUNINFO_HISTORY table contains run information used by CONTROL-M.

The purge_runinfo maintenance utility should be run periodically to maintain this table. The settings are site specific.
Product"

I have a job that run this instructions every Monday and no execution report is generated. But the message 'Low on database space' continue appearing in the ECS every day.

Any Idea what happend ?, is this a new bug ?. What happend if really no database space are reached ?

th_alejandro
Nouveau
Nouveau

Help

Post by th_alejandro » 18 Mar 2010 2:10

Help with this please ...

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 18 Mar 2010 4:09

Hi,

In the past we were getting those 'Low Database Space' messages also.
In our case we didn't have a space problem and the Oracle tables are set up to expand dynamicaly when they need.

After discussion with DBA team i disabled in the config.dat for Control-M/Server the following parameters:

# WD_CTMEXIT_2_INTERVAL 20
# WD_CTMEXIT_2_TIMEOUT 30
# WD_CTMEXIT_2_RUN_STATE Y
# WD_CTMEXIT_2_SUSPEND_STATE N
# WD_CTMEXIT_2_SCRIPT_FILE ctmdbspace
# WD_CTMEXIT_2_CMD_LINE -LIMIT 90
# WD_CTMEXIT_2_ERROR_MSG Low on database space

You can see also in the Control-M/Server Admin Guide, the parameter WD_CTMEXIT_NUMBER (if you want to disable the built-in Watchdog user exit like ctmdiskspace or ctmdbspace)
Best regards
Walty

Dilbert
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Dilbert » 18 Mar 2010 4:09

Are you sure that the message is "low database space"? I saw a similar message "low disk space" on 6.3.01 CONTROL-M Server (Linux host) without any fixpack.
BMC fixed it in later fixpacks.

Maybe you can try the follwowing:
1. Open CONTROL-M Configuration Manager
2. Under "Database", use "Check space..."
3. Look for size/free/used variables for your CTM databases.

Maybe you will must extend your database space: Database -> Extend database.

th_alejandro
Nouveau
Nouveau

And what about the error ....

Post by th_alejandro » 18 Mar 2010 4:32

Hi Walty, thanks for your recommendation.

If i disable de watchdog to avoid this king of message 'low on database space', i understand that the space must be frequently monitoring by my Dba because i will not receive any alert about this from Control-M.

But, this kind of message, will not, in the future, 'breakdown' my control-m server ? or 'crash' my system ?. I think that, because this is an Alert, and 'some' may be happening in the inner of Control-M that can need to be solved.

Walty
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Walty » 18 Mar 2010 5:09

Hi,

We have commented these parameters in the config.dat for a year without any particular problem (v6.3.01.500 on Solaris)

Perhaps some users have others experience about this.
Best regards
Walty

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 22 Mar 2010 3:50

don't stop anything in watch dog just modify the limit parameter

regrds
philmalmaison

nicke
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by nicke » 31 Mar 2010 8:52

I agree with philmalmaison don't stop anything in the WD. Since your are running on Oracle I suggest you that set the WD to check diskspace instead of db space in the config.dat instead because normally Oracle handles the space itself by the AUTOEXTEND functions if your DBA:s have set so. So then there is no use running the ctmdbspace but it still important to have control over the diskspace used by the Control-M Server so you don't get a stop in production environment due to full filesystem and it is important to have the WD active for control.......

punchy
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by punchy » 09 Apr 2010 8:13

I've come across this same issue at a customer site.

and Yes it is a bug. the alert is just a regular alert and it appears to occur with ctm installations using existing oracle databases.

the fix to change the value WD_CTMEXIT_2_CMD_LINE -LIMIT 90 to WD_CTMEXIT_2_CMD_LINE -LIMIT 99

or to disable the watchdog process and have dba's monitor tablespace size.

seek advice from BMC support if uncertain.