Alert Log

Everything about Control-M Enterprise Manager Server installation or setup.
ajomarquez
Nouveau
Nouveau

Alert Log

Post by ajomarquez » 13 Jan 2010 6:07

I'm trying to find out how long our alerts are kept. The Alert Window in Control-M client only goes back about 22 days. Where can I find this setting?

brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

ALERT LOG

Post by brownbag » 14 Jan 2010 12:57

Hi,
It does depend a lot on what version of Control-M/EM you have. What version do you have?

ajomarquez
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ajomarquez » 14 Jan 2010 1:15

We are on v6.2. I think I found a job that goes through and deletes alerts that are older than 23 days :( I have to find out of the admin before me created a separate job that exports the alerts first.

nicolas_mulot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by nicolas_mulot » 14 Jan 2010 9:51

Hello,

There used to be a more or less documented script called erase_alerts. This is available in the <em_home>/scripts
Check you ctm housekeeping jobs to check if that script is used.

Nicolas_mulot

ajomarquez
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ajomarquez » 14 Jan 2010 4:47

Hi. Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I found yesterday. The script seems to be erasing the alerts that are older than 23 days. I'm sure it was because of a space issue. I'm going to add something in our monthly calendar to shout to the operators and have them do an export of the alerts.

Thanks for all the help.

ajomarquez
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ajomarquez » 14 Jan 2010 6:29

Does the erase_alerts script erase the alert entries from the database completely...or can these alerts still be querried?

nicolas_mulot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by nicolas_mulot » 14 Jan 2010 6:37

Hi,
The alerts are physically erased, but still buffered in the GAS Server, which then has to be stopped/restarted. You can automate the global proces using the "ctl" utility

Cheers

ajomarquez
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ajomarquez » 14 Jan 2010 6:43

Do you know what the %%A stands for in the paramater below. This is what is passed to the erase_user script from the command line in Control-M. It has been YEARS since I messed in unix much and now I'm trying to step back into it. I'm tring to verify how many days back the script is going when it erases the alerts.

-U {user}-P {password} -D %%A -H 23 -F

nicolas_mulot
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by nicolas_mulot » 14 Jan 2010 7:58

ajomarquez,

It seems your script is called via a job defined with TASKTYPE Command. Otherwise, I don't see how the script could internally resolve an
AutoEdit variable, while the command line of the job could resolve both AutoEdit and envirpnment variables.

In that case, %%A is necessarilly resolved by AutoEdit environment, either locally (check the %%SET tab of your job) or globally (check ctmvar -action list)
I checked EM docs for older versions, and didnt find any reference to erase_alerts utility.
As far as I can remember, -D should be resolved to a date (ODATE?). Your syntax probably means "delete all alerts older than %%A -23 days, which might explain the 22 days you observed.
In any way, check the sysout of your job.

Cheers

ajomarquez
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by ajomarquez » 14 Jan 2010 8:05

THANK YOU! I've been making this too difficult and didn't even think about looking on the Set tab. That is what I needed.