Enterprice/CS Admin Password

A lot of scripts ans example to extract information from Control-M tools.
Venkateshwarulu
Nouveau
Nouveau

Enterprice/CS Admin Password

Post by Venkateshwarulu » 21 Jul 2009 12:37

Greetings!!!

Please can any one explain how to change the EM/CS Admin password on Control-M suite? I need to change the password with out bringing Control-M down?

Please explain all the steps.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Regards
Venkat

markf
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by markf » 21 Jul 2009 9:09

You can change the CONTROL-M/EM administrator password as you would for any CONTROL-M/EM user (i.e. login to the Enterprise Manager gui as emuser (or your admin id) and go to tools (top line) and select 'change passwords'). You should be a bit careful though, the EM admin password is often used in scripts and procedures elsewhere - you should double check to see if you have it hard coded.

brownbag
Nouveau
Nouveau

CHANGE EM ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD

Post by brownbag » 21 Jul 2009 9:23

There are actually two different database entities defined that have administrative purposes
1. The owner of the CONTROL-M/EM database (the database superuser)
2. A user defined within that database – a CONTROL-M/EM user with all access rights
They are different users but look the same, probably because by default they are given the same name and password after installation. It is probably better to keep these synced (i.e., if you change one, change the other).

The instructions on how to do this are quite complex and it may be a bit long for a small post on this forum. Let me know if you want me to send you some complete instructions, but be warned – it is quite a long process.

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 21 Jul 2009 11:09

just change the password, the utilities used by database owner setting don't change.

for exemple, you install your database with emuser username and pass as password for database owner, so utilities should ever use this owner and pass, even if , by using GUI admin mode , you make the change password of the same user create by default during the binary part of control-m/EM.

database owner settings don't change when you use GUI authorization admin menu.

regards
philmalmaison

Venkateshwarulu
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Venkateshwarulu » 21 Jul 2009 12:47

Thanks evry one for quick reply.

I think I have change the emuser password under control-M/EM as well as in the data base using "cryptocli.exe".

The below theread in this forum says different process & I am confused: http://www.scheduler-usage.com/modules. ... ght=emuser

brownbag & philmalmaison: Could you please send me the complete instructions?

Thanks
Venkat

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 21 Jul 2009 1:10

you said "a need to change" you didn't say "i changed"

as i know, cryptocli is used for synchronize the pf file used by ecs utilities...do it as you need it (done if i anderstand)

first you have changed the emuser password
second you have used cryptocli to synchronize pf file
so you just have to look on scripts using user / password write on it, and modify the ecs command with -pf <path>.
but it didn't modify the password of the database owner, so you steel can loggin to ecs utilities / or to the database, using owner and password.
As you've changed it in EM GUI, you need now to have the new password to loggin with emuser automatically generated by the binary installation.

so the situation is that for managing the database :
(select,update,delete,...) you have the same user but a different password, that the one used to log in CTMEM/GUI server.

You can see that using the configuration manager with user/password defined at database creation works ok, and connection to the GUI server with it doesn't.

i hope to be clear ...

regards
philmalmaison

Venkateshwarulu
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by Venkateshwarulu » 21 Jul 2009 11:02

philmalmaison,

Thanks very much for detailed explanation

I don't have much knowledge on pf file and ecs utilities. Where do I get this information about this?

Since I am changing the password only and I think , I don't need to use "cryptocli" command.

As bwonbag explained:

1. The owner of the CONTROL-M/EM database (the database superuser)
2. A user defined within that database – a CONTROL-M/EM user with all access rights

My understading is : I need to change the password in CTM/EM database and CTM/GUI.

Do i need to restart the server to password to reflect?

bwonbag: please correct me if I am wrong?

Regards
Venkat

philmalmaison
Nouveau
Nouveau

Post by philmalmaison » 22 Jul 2009 2:56

just logoff / logon after changed
regards
philmalmaison